A #THRIVEinlife Feature.
How long has it been since you did something fun just for the two of you? If your answer is “yesterday”, high five! If not, get the night off, get a babysitter, and turn off your cell phones. It's time to re-connect.
Summer is such a fun date season. It literally opens doors to a whole world of date possibilities that are only possible when the sun is shining, and are usually much more economical and environmentally friendly. We've got a list to get your creative date lineup started.
- Picnic with a View – Take-out-for-two your own way. The best thing about a picnic is getting all your favourite finger foods and tapas together and taking them to a locale that no restaurant could ever venture to. Grab a baguette, a blanket, and a mason jar tumbler of your favourite drink, and load into the car. Hit a beach, a mountain top, or a scenic meadow and dine somewhere out of the ordinary. No awkward discussion about who pays the bill!
- Movie Night with the Doors Open: Outdoor movies pop up all over the place in many cities over the summer. Why not create your own? Drag out that guest mattress in place of the couch or create a pillow pile (styled by Thrive) right in the middle of the living room. Throw open the french doors and the windows and let the summer breeze make you feel like you're at a drive in. You won't have to worry about anybody tall sitting in front of you and no one will complain if you talk. We highly recommend rounding out the experience with a bowl of popcorn covered in nutritional yeast.
- Local Market Inspired Dinner – Grab your Sunday Tote and stroll through your local farmer's market. Have an open mind and let the fresh wares inspire your meal plan. Even challenge yourself to buy one item you have never cooked with before. No matter what you make, your meal will be guaranteed to be fresh, sustainable, and creative. To really set the romantic mood, grab a few beeswax candles from Thrive.
- Camping in Your Backyard – Who needs to book a campsite? Skip the long drive and the outhouses and set up your tent right in your own backyard. Complete the setting with a lantern, sleeping bags, and some smores. Spending the whole night outside gives you a chance to slow down and drink in your surroundings. Take some time to look at the stars and appreciate the vastness of the night sky. If it is especially warm and clear, drag your sleeping gear onto the lawn and really soak up the twinkly lights all night. Don't worry about setting an alarm, that sunrise will wake you up. Set the coffee pot to make an early brew and watch the light come up with a toasty morning beverage.
Image via pinterest.
- Paddle Boarding – This date doubles as a great workout. Plus it's a way to get out on the water emissions free. It's an easier first timer experience than surfing and rentals have become more popular than ever. See if you can search out a secret beach or challenge each other to an aquatic yoga session. No judging if someone falls in!
- Berry Picking – Despite the heat, it is probably best if you wear some pants for this adventure. Arm yourself with a few big buckets and some pruners and hit the trails. Your spoils will be totally worth any scratches you might bear. Stow freezer bags away for future use and make sure you reward yourself with dessert. Adding in a little gelato or coconut ice cream wouldn't hurt!
- Golfing – Even if sports are not your bag, golf is one of those things that you can just pick up for the afternoon. We're not saying you'll be good at it, but at least you can try. Learning new things together can also be a good bonding experience. Plus, it gives you an excuse to dress like you belong to a country club for the day. If one of you has some experience, play teacher and help your partner get their hips into it. If neither of you have swung a club before, grab a bucket of balls and hit the driving range. As long as you don't hit a parked car (or each other), it will be a successful day in the sun! Us Salt Spring Island locals have a very scenic 9-hole course complete with cart rentals.
Visit us in store or online for date-worthy outfits and accessories!